In September Ringwood Chess Club won the English Chess Federation Small Club of the Year Award.
We won this prestigious award for a variety of reasons including:
- encouraging players new to competitive chess and growing our membership
- helping Ringwood School organise chess events
- competing in all the local leagues
- running internal events, especially the summer blitz tournaments
- organising the Ringwood Rapidplay tournament in which 60 players took part
- helping maintain local chess through the pandemic, especially through organising the Team Arenas held between local teams.
All members, new and old, helped us win this, but a special mention must go to Martin Clancy who has been the driving force behind so much of what the club does.
Pictured below are many of the club members with the trophy... which is notoriously difficult to photograph!